Thursday, September 3, 2009

The power of 30!

I was very lucky the other night and was able to attend a very good enrichment meeting! I hesitated in even going. With Josh out of town, finding a sitter, loading up all the kids to go get the sitter, cleaning my house good enough so it would be OK for a sitter, and then trying to find something easy for the kids to eat for dinner before I left, all that combined it just seamed easier to stay home!


Well things just sort of fell into place and I realized I had no more excuses and should take advantage of the chance to get out and go. So I did.


I was so grateful that I did!!! I'm sure that most of what was said that night was directly for my benefit! It was the power of 30 minutes. 30 minutes of exercise, 30 minutes of cleaning, 30 minutes of food storage and 30 minutes of personal scripture study (I hope I didn't forget anyone!). A couple of the classes made me come away, not feeling over whelmed or bad about myself but with a new sense that "I can do this!"


Scripture study was one thing that I must admit I desperately needed to work on! When do you find the time? and then how do you go from reading to studying? I recently had an experience that confirmed to me that this was something in my life that I really needed to work on! A good friend of mine, compared scripture study to brushing your teeth, when you know the reason you are doing it, ( hygiene, to keep the plaque off, so and so on ) then does it effect the way you do it? Why do we study our scriptures? Because our eternal salvation depends on it! So then does that effect the way we study? It should!


She gave lots of good advice and examples on how to study and when. The things that stuck out for me and that seam to be working are, to study when the kids go down for a nap. I'm sure like everyone else nap time is priceless and I have a list a million things long of things that need to be done during nap time, but again if I understand why I need to study my scriptures (eternal salvation) then the priority of it gets bumped to the top!!! I even set a reminder on my phone, and when it beeps I drop what I'm doing and study my scriptures!


Now, how to study? For me it is so hard to just open the scriptures and start reading and really get into it, my mind starts to wonder. So she suggested to read an Ensign article and go from there. High light the parts that you like and then "study" that with the scriptures found at the end of the article. BRILLIANT!!! This has totally helped me stay focused and I'm learning a lot!


The very night I came home from enrichment, as I climbed into bed I thought to myself, I should read my scriptures. But then Satin starts to work on you and I kept giving myself every excuse, I'll start tomorrow when the kids take their nap, and I'm so tired. Something told me to just do it, no more excuses! So I did! I had my prayers and then studied my scriptures and had an amazing answer to a prayer! This just confirmed to me how we can't go a day without this! The time is now!


I'm so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows me so well! Who knows the lessons I need to learn and who gives me people in my life that help me to learn them. I'm grateful for prayer and that he hears and answers our prayers. I'm grateful for the power of the spirit and how it strengths my testimony! But most important I can truly say how grateful I am for my scriptures!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing! I think it is so easy to get caught up in "life" especially when our husbands are gone and we get tired and overwhelmed you forget or just don't take the time for scripture study. I know I slack off way to much in that area and I nee to do better. So tonight I am going to make a commitment for the 30 mins a day! Thank you Amber for going to enrichment :)

Mayhew Clan said...

Way to go!! you got it way earlier than I did!! Keep us posted on things you learn, we learn that way as well, thanks for being such an example to so many of us. I love you, Lady - Bec

Anonymous said...

Amber, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have had much of the same. My scripture study is lacking and by bedtime I am spent. I was disappointed to leave enrichment before I heard the last presentation. Though, all the others were very good also. Thank you for inspiring me!

Kathy's Boys said...

What a great idea for an enrichment. I think I will share it with my Presidency at the next meeting. We need some new ideas. I love the 30/30/30 idea. It is amazing what we can do in 30 min. if we really want to. Your family is so cute. I still have pictures of you and Brandy when you came to stay with us in Vegas many moons ago and we went to see the Volcano and the Mirage. It was one of the new hotspots to see then! How time flies. Should I post them on my blog? :)

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing that! Man, I really miss Coolidge 2nd Ward! How's the calling going? :) You are probably much better than I was at it!

Laura said...

Hi Amber! Where have you been? We might close the end of Sept. Whats the update with you guys?

I cant believe your baby has pigtails!!!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing your enrichment and your testimony of scripture prayer. I am in that boat you just set sail, except mine is still in the harbor. I am gratefull for this post! You are amazing!

Jaime said...

I really like that idea....read an article and then the scriptures to follow! That will not only get me reading the Ensign more faithfully, but I'm sure it will help a ton with scripture study. THANK YOU!