Today I had a really good experience that helped me remember that God sees all and really does have a hand in all things!
Today was the first day of school for my kids and Tucker was a little nervous to ride the bus. I told him that I would come to the school before the bell rang, help him get on the right bus and then meet him at his bus stop. I had also told him that if for some reason I didn't get to the school before it was time to load the buses, he was to just go to the parent pick up area and wait for me there.
I got a phone call for the school about some paper work issues and they asked me if Tucker would be riding the bus home that day. I told her yes and that I would be there to help put him on it. She said that was fine and that she would let his teacher know he would be riding the bus.
Later that day I loaded up my 3 little girls and headed to the school. As I was driving down the road I could see a bus coming the other direction. As I looked I could see that it was Tuckers bus. All the sudden I had a pit in my stomach and thought, am I late. There is no way that bus should be here right now. As the bus stopped I thought well maybe the kindergartners got out early or something, so I paid close attention to the little boy that got off the bus, he looked to be about Tuckers age. As the bus drove off I was now getting really nervous wondering where Tucker was.
As I got further down the rode I had this feeling to turn around and go back. I hesitated for a second and thought if I turn around I'll be late and I'm sure Tuckers teacher will tell him I talked to the office and that he was suppose to ride the bus. I wasn't even sure that was Tuckers bus or if it was the kindergartners or if he was waiting for me at the school. I was a little panicked as to what to do, but again I had a feeling to turn around and go back. This time I didn't hesitate! As I turned around and was heading back towards my house this little boy (the one that had gotten off the bus) came darting out across the road at me! He was screaming and crying and in a total panic! If I hadn't of slammed on my brakes I'm sure he would have run right into my car, he was a total mess! I quickly pulled over, and asked him what was wrong. Still sobbing he says that his house is all locked and his mom isn't home and he is all alone! Poor little boy was a total mess he was so scared and really looked like he was in shock! By the time I had got to him he had walked (or ran) probably a good half mile from his house. I'm not sure if he was chasing the bus or what, but he was pretty far from home. I told him I would take him back to his house to help him try to find his mom. I asked him what grade he was in and he told me 1st grade (same as Tucker). As I'm putting him in the car I'm thinking, I don't have time for this, what about Tucker! I said a quick prayer and instantly knew I was to help this little boy that Tucker would be fine!
We went back to his house and sure enough all the doors were locked and we couldn't see anyone. I kept trying to call the school but would get no answer. "Little lost boy" had a tag attached to him with his moms cell number attached to it, I called and called but no one would answer. After a couple of minutes at his house I decided to just head to the school. Maybe they would have other phone numbers on file or emergency contacts we could call.
I finally got a hold of the school, told them what has happened and they inform me that "little lost boy" is actually in prefirst and that the kindergartners and prefirst kids got out early, that's why the bus was there so early. They said they would keep trying to get a hold of mom and to go ahead and bring him back to the school.
By this time "little lost boy" has calmed way down. We've talked about his dog and his sister and how his first day of school was. Anything and everything I could think of to keep his mind off of things. But every once in awhile his little lip would quiver and he would start to cry and say "I just can't believe she left me all alone! I'm all alone!" It seriously broke my heart, I was starting to get teary eyed, to see him so scared!
Just before we pulled into the school, I get a phone call from "little lost boys" mom. I told her who I was and what had happened. She explained that she didn't know that they got out early and that she had gotten in the shower. She could hear us knocking but was in the shower and didn't realize it was her son. She was so upset and I'm sure feeling guilty. I let her talk to "little lost boy" who immediately broke into tears the second he heard his moms voice. I told her I was just picking up my son from the school and that I could either leave her son at the office or bring him home on my way. It made me feel so good when "little lost boy" told her he wanted to stay with me!
When we pulled up to the school there was my son waiting in the parent pick up area all safe and sound! I later found out that his teacher did tell him that I had called and that he was suppose to ride the bus. But he stuck to what he knew to be true and told her that our plan was, if I wasn't there to put him on the bus he was to wait in the parent pick up area. I'm grateful for the teacher who listened to my child and realized he knew what he was suppose to do and didn't try to convince him otherwise!
When we finally got back to "little lost boys" house, I walked him to the door and his mom was standing there crying and thanking me for taking care of her son. She was not of my faith but I wanted her to know that it was from powers above that lead me to her son. I explained to her how I was prompted to turn around and go back. I could tell she was touched and I was wishing so bad I had a Book of Mormon to give to her. I hope I get that opportunity!
For the rest of the day I couldn't quit thinking about "little lost boy"! I was thinking about the Holy Ghost and the promptings I had to turn around and go back. I was also thinking about the morning I had had and how everything had lead up to that point. I had been planning to leave the house at 1:45 all day, that would have given me just enough time to get to the school and get Tucker on his bus. But literally just before we walked out the door I had this thought in my head that I should put the rolls in the bread machine before we left. For a second I ignored it and headed out the door but then I thought, no it will only take a minute just get the rolls in now! So I did, I put the baby down and hurried and put the rolls in. Looking back on it now, a conversation I thought I was having with myself was really, again a prompting from the Holy Ghost. If I had left just that couple of minutes earlier I would have missed seeing that bus and never would have been able to help "little lost boy". It is just so amazing to me how the Lord has a hand in every minute of every single day, and how easy that is to forget! Everything had to play out down to the minute in order for our paths to have crossed. I don't know what would have happened maybe he would have just walked back home and sat on his front porch until his mom found him, and everything would have been fine, or maybe he would have been hit by a car when running out into the street. I don't know but I think helping "little lost boy" was more for me then it was for him. I needed to be reminded that Heavenly Father is apart of our lives every minute of every day. He is always there it's just up to us to see him! So thanks "little lost boy" for helping me see!

5 comments:
I am so glad you were there for that little boy and that you listened the the promtings. Made me teary eyed to read this story!
Thx for sharing this! I have had many things happen in my life that sound so silly at the time, like put the rolls in the oven, but had great significance in the end. I try so hard to always listen to those silly little promtings becauase you never know how you may change a life or how your testimonty with be strenghthened by listening. I totally had goose bumps and tears in my eyes ready your story.
Amber, thank you so much for sharing this sweet story. You are a valiant woman, and I'm so glad you were able to discern the powers of the spirit. I wonder how many times I neglect to listen? Thank you for this reminder. On another note, please tell Tucker and the rest of the bunch "hi" from the Clare's. As always, we miss you. Daphne sends licky kisses...
Such a great story Amber!!! It gives me goosebumps!!! THX for sharing, I need to hear that today ;)! Love & Miss ya...we'll get up there to see you sometime!
truly a great story! thank you for taking the time to write it all out and share!
Post a Comment