Thursday, January 22, 2009

We love Sugar Cookies!

Many of you know that a couple of months ago at my Uncles benefit dinner and auction someone donated a little paint pony to be auctioned off. We were able to get her at a very good price. So we decided to save her for the kids Christmas gift. I was so excited! I think every kid at some point in there childhood asks for a pony. Well this year was going to be the year that my kids wish came true! Friends allowed us to keep her on their ranch up in Eagar till Christmas eve. That night when the kids were in bed Josh and my Father in-law went and got her and put her in the front pasture at my in-laws where we were staying for Christmas. Josh pined her in the front of the pasture so that she would be up close to the house when it was time for the kids to see her. The next morning after all the gifts were opened and it was light outside we handed the kids one more gift. In it was a clue that started them on a big treasure hunt all around the house. The final clue was found in the garage with a bag of carrots, the funny thing was that there is this wild rabbit living at my in-laws that my kids have been trying to hunt down. The final clue said something like, go around the bend to see our new family friend. So they thought we had caught the rabbit and that the carrots were for it. So around the corner they went......
As soon as they saw the horse Emmy said yay we get to feed a horse some carrots. She thought that was there gift, feeding a horse some carrots. We had to explain it over and over that this was there horse. After it finally sunk in there was a lot of jumping up and down and screaming and Ry kept saying over and over, my hosey my hosey. Tucker ran over and grabbed her around the neck and was hanging there hugging her. Emmy was trying as fast as she could to get the carrots opened to feed them to her and Ry just kept jumping up and down "my hosey my hosey". We were all over feeding and petting the horse and I could here the kids talking about how they were so excited for their cousins to come up later that day so they could show them the knew horse that they would all share. I realized they thought that the horse was going to stay at Grandma and Grandpas and that they would share her with their cousins. Once again I had to explain. This was their horse we would be taking her home with us to Coolidge and although I was glad they wanted to share with their cousins this was just their horse nobody elses. More screaming and more jumping up and down and I think they finally realized that this was their horse.

Tucker feeding his new horse a carrot!

At one point Tucker started screaming this is the best day ever we got a horse and it is snowing! You can see in this picture that it was snowing! It was the perfect Christmas morning that we will be talking about for a long time!!!

Along with our new pet came new chores but this was a chore that everybody wanted to be a part of! Here is Josh with the kids getting some feed for our new horse! I love how Ry is calling her to come like she is a dog! To cute!

Ready and willing to help with chores. All week every time it was time to feed the horse all the kids wanted to go help, it was so cold outside that we would have to bundle them all up just to go outside for a few minutes to feed the horse. I just hope that excitement about there new chore lasts!

I love Emmy's face after letting the horse eat gain out of her hand!

Well Grandpa had it all planed out. He would turn on some good ol' John Wayne movies and the kids could think for a couple of days about what to name their new horse, but as soon as they saw it that was the first thing they wanted to do. I suggested that we give her a Christmas name like Jingle bell or Holly Berry or Sugar Cookie. All the kids started screaming, ya Sugar Cookie, we like Sugar Cookie. And so it is Sugar Cookie. You may be wondering what sugar cookies have to do with Christmas but everyone knows, that is Santa's favorite cookie so that is what we leave for him every year. Well Dad and Grandpa were not happy that I had given the kids any suggestions, they hate the name! Oh well hopefully it will grow on them. The kids love it!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I cried reading this. That has is the best gift you could give.

Kathy's Boys said...

What a cute story! I loved it! That will be a hard Christmas to beat. Hope all is well.

Erika said...

That is soooo cool. What a memory! How fun for your kids.

Lisa said...

Amber-
That is awesome! I am so glad you guys got a horse. I'm jealous!! Maybe someday when Scott gets done with school :)